Monday, May 25, 2009

Aston is starting to read!

I saw an advertisement for "your baby can read". Its a reading program to start kids on early on. It comes with videos for them to watch in stages and you practice what they view with flash cards, books and games. At first I was skeptical, "yeah right kids reading that early"???? It was expensive too so I did a test. For a month I made my own flash cards when Aston had just turned one. I made them with things I knew he was familiar with and could say. For example like juice, ball, cookie. I did a mix of pictures and words because I wasn't sure what the program was like or what he would pick up on. I liked his progress and told Aaron that I wanted to get the program for him. I found it on ebay for a good price on a deluxe package. It has been about six months now that he has been on the program and it is great! I really need to work with him on a daily basis because that is when I see the most progress. I have been lacking in the past because of school and we have spent free time on his room. I am sure he will pick up more when I do. After working on the program with him Aaron and I feel that he is learning to memorize the words more that sound them out and read them; but that to me is still something to work on and still makes us proud. Below is a video of the first five words that he is actually reading. The words are baby, eyes, arms, cats and head. Two more that he almost has is gorilla and blanket.

1 comment:

Aimee- said...

That is FANTASTIC!! Very IMPRESSIVE! Way to go! Yes, you guys should feel very proud.

Great Job Aston!!

I am jealous!